Thornfield Luxury en-suite Camping Cabins
Please refer to our Rates & Availability Page for special offers and the availability calendar.
Covid Update - 04.01.21
Due to the latest government lockdown announcement we cannot acccept any guests until further notice. Stay safe everyone!
Temporarily Postponed Bookings
All those with bookings during this time must get in touch when they have new dates in mind (after checking our availability calendar) then emailing to get their booking re-instated. Please be aware that winter offer rates are applicable from 1st October to 31st March each year. (For terms and conditions of booking please refer to bottom of home page on website).
Please Note: For the time being we are not accepting any new bookings for stays prior to 1st April 2021. We also cannot offer any one night stays due to the workload involved. 03.01.21
All contact via email please. (Will still have our other jobs too)
Covid-19 - Updated guidance following re-opening
- There will be no handling of the small animals with children on site (due to close contact risk and how busy all the staff are on site)
- The children will not be able collect the eggs which we normally like to do with them.
- We cannot allow access to any of the toy stores. However there is access to a trampoline and football goal. (Please bring your own toys/games when possible)
- Lilly the site cat is tempremental befriend her at your own risk!
Thornfield Camping Cabins is set in a picturesque landscape and rural setting between the border city of Carlisle and Caldbeck on the edge of the Lake District National Park. Karen and Andrew have welcomed clients since July 2016 and along with their team, they aim to provide you with a warm welcome and a pleasant stay; and if you wish to bring your well-behaved dog - your four legged friends too! Providing high quality, affordable and warm year-round self catering accommodation with home from home comforts, in a tranquil rural setting, a real back to nature holiday experience surrounded by woodlands, walks, a range of wildlife and extensive rural views.
Our Promise to You!
- A passion to create an outdoor haven; sympathetic to the natural environment for our guests to enjoy while staying in quality, quirky, affordable accomodation with home-from-home comforts.
- Provide a fantastic place to stay, with stunning views; bringing peace and relaxation.
- Think of the little things for our guests; a warm welcome to everyone enabling our guests to feel they are with friends.
There are 6 Luxury en-suite Glamping PODS:
2 x (Extra Large) PODS - Fox & Badger (with the option to add on a 6 seater hot tub)
- Sleeping a maximum of 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 children of primary school age (one kingsize bed and one double bed settee)
- Full bathroom-separate shower cubicle, toilet and sink.
- Underfloor heating, a country style kitchen with a belfast sink.
- Includes the use of either a one or two ring portable induction hob with pans - available on request.
- Fridge / Microwave/ Kettle / Toaster
- Crockery and Cutlery
- Badger Pod - No dogs accepted. Please read our terms and conditions regarding breach of the pet free rule
- Retro Mk11 DAB/DAB+/FM/Apple Lightening Dock/Bluetooth radio.
4 x (Large) PODS - Pheasant, Owl, Deer & Squirrel (with the option to add on a 4 seater hot tub)
- Sleeping a maximum of 2 Adults or 2 adults and 2 children of primay school age (one double bed and one double bed settee)
- En-suite wet room (Includes, shower, toilet & sink)
- Underfloor heating
- Fridge / Microwave/ Kettle / Toaster (Please note: Portable hob / rings - these can be requested on site but priority is given to the extra large pods - no additional charge)
- Crockery and Cutlery
- Retro Mini DAB/DAB+/FM/Bluetooth radio.
Stable Pod (Not en-suite) – Budget cabin - 10% discount for single occupancy - no bedding or towels provided
This is the perfect solution for short stay restrictions in your plans possibly due to walking the Cumbria Way, Cycling Lands’ End to John O’Groats or a midway overnight stop en-route North or South. However, it is just as suitable for longer stays too. This pod does not benefit from the beautiful views of the main site as it is located to the left of our Stable-Garage-Utility room and behind our bungalow. Our brand-new large toilet and shower facility is only a hop, skip and a jump away along the path in the rear of the utility room. It is preferred that you provide you own bedding – sleeping bags and towels but if you are travelling light then you can choose to add these items on. Should your stay be two nights or more then we can offer you the option to add on a hot tub. (Due to the proximity of a gas tank in this area there is no option to add on a fire pit and gas BBQ's are the only BBQ's allowed).
The accommodation briefly comprises of:
- Sleeps a maximum of 2 persons and 1 dog.
- Highly insulated with a panel heater.
- Caravan style bed set up where you close up the gap in the seating area to make your bed.
- Fold away table.
- Kitchenette area with 2 hob rings, sink, combination microwave-grill.
- Fridge, kettle, toaster.
- Crockery, cutlery and pans.
- Retro Mini DAB/DAB+/FM/Bluetooth radio.
Meg's Room - New Utility / Shower Room
Our brand-new utility room is now complete. Providing a fantastic addition to our onsite facilities. All our guests have access to additional fridge and freezer storage space, washing machine and tumble dryer facilities and also a sink for washing off the muddy boots. All our tourist information leaflets are displayed there too.
To the rear of the utility room we have a large shower room - toilet which is currently only for the use of those staying in the Stable pod due to Covid-19.
Electric Vehicle Charging Points
We have installed 2 x Rolec EV charging points in car parking bays 2 & 4. You are required to download an app to use these facilities.
- Free Wifi (Don't expect miracles - we do not have fibre and the speed is slow!) However it is free!
- Car parking free for the duration of your stay (Strictly one vehicle per cabin during July & August). Additional vehicles by arrangement only and chargeable.
- Comprehensive information folder in each cabin detailing ALL site and health & safety information; details of the local amenities in Dalston village and the surrounding area along with information on walking and cycling.
For the Children
To introduce the childen to our animals please click here. You will also find information on the range of games and activities available to both children and adults.
Dogs - Important Information!
As dog lovers ourselves we welcome well behaved dogs. (A maximum of 2 dogs per cabin - Stable pod - 1 dog) However, it is crucial that ALL dogs are kept off the bed and bed settee. We are experiencing an increasing number of incidents where we are having to deal with laundry that cannot be cleaned (muddy stains cannot be removed by the laundry) incurring a high replacement cost to us. Sadly if this persists then we may have no alternative but to reduce the number of cabins that accept our four legged friends. Your dog is provided with a water bowl, tie out rope and a towel to dry them. Should they need to be hosed down due to excess mud you can use the hose pipe next to the hot tubs.
The basic rules are as follows; if you cannot abide by them then please do not bring your dog!
- Dogs must be kept off the furniture (please bring a couple of large throws if you are concerned)
- All dogs must be kept on a lead and under control at all times when on site for the safety of other site users and due to the fact we have free range poultry on site too!
- No dogs to be left unattended in the cabins at any time.
- Poop scoops are provided for dog waste. It is disposed of in the green wheelie bins.
Group Bookings - MUST seek prior approval
If you wish to make a group booking of 2 PODS or more please can you email us with your requirements in order for us to assess the suitablility of your group to our site. (We do not allow more than two adults and 2 children in the large cabins). The following factors have to be taken into account: Other guests on site - noise levels and the impact that the group could have on the enjoyment of others staying on site. Adequate parking spaces (we only have 1 space available per cabin). Hot tub requirements - refer to the hot tub page - no sharing of hot tubs during Covid-19 pandemic. (WE ONLY ALLOW GROUP BOOKINGS WHO AGREE TO OUR STRICT CRITERIA AND PROTOCOL FOR THE SITE; SUCH AS CABIN OCCUPANCY NUMBERS, ADEQUATE HOT TUB REQUIREMENTS AND THE NATURE OF THE VISIT)
External Hot Tub Hire
We are now offering external HOT TUB hire. Available (within a 10 mile radius of CA5 7BX). All bookings via our website booking page. Social distancing will be adhered to at all times. (See Hot tub page for full details)
Gift vouchers are available and perfect for any occasion. Treat a loved one to an alternative gift even those who say they "don't do camping". The response we get is fantastic and we usually find they will certainly repeat the experience!
Woodside Welcome Cycle Cafe