Thornfield Camping Cabins are located just outside the village of Dalston in Cumbria.
Due to the close proximity of the camping cabin site to the northern fells and lakes (Keswick, Ambleside etc) the site is ideal for those walkers who wish to explore the fells and lakes along with the border city of Carlisle and Hadrians Wall.
There is strong use of the area with cyclists due to the proximity of the Reivers route 10 and the National Cycle network route 7; which both run straight past the property and are used by hundreds of cyclists each year along with walkers; some of whom undertake the Cumbria Way walk.
We are situated only one mile from the nearest public house (The Bridge End Inn) which can be accessed via footpaths of which there is one which starts directly opposite the site. There is a regular bus service to Bridge End and we are only 2 miles from Dalston village centre which has a host of amenities available; along with a train station to access the western Lake District and the City of Carlisle.
Address: Thornfield, Hawksdale, Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria. CA5 7BX
You can also find us via: what3words.com///wanted.assets.livid
Travelling By Car
(BEST ROUTE - FASTEST ROUTE)
Leave the motorway at Junction 42 and travel approximately 5 miles taking the B5299 out of Dalston heading south towards Welton. Shortly after leaving Dalston there is a left hand turn, the road straightens and leads to a right hand turn. On the corner of this right hand turn take the junction (straight ahead) signposted to Rose Castle and Raughton Head. (ONCE OFF THE MAIN ROAD PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR SAT NAV) follow the road (DO NOT TURN LEFT FOR HAWKSDALE B & B) and after 1/3 of a mile Thornfield is situated on the right hand side. (what3words.com///wanted.assets.livid)
(SCENIC ROUTE - FROM THE SOUTH - BUT SEE ABOVE - Just one more junction North and we are literally 10 minutes off the M6)
Leave the motorway at Junction 41 and follow the scenic route via Hutton in the Forrest and then to Welton. You will turn right on crossroads for Welton head through the village continue straight on until you reach a sharp left hand bend for Dalston. At this point turn right - signposted Rose Castle and Raughton Head (ONCE OFF THE MAIN ROAD PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR SAT NAV) follow the road and after 1/3 of a mile Thornfield is situated on the right hand side. (This route is not recommended in winter or on dark nights. The road is very undulating and its approximately 20 miles on back roads)(what3words.com///wanted.assets.livid)
Travelling by Public Transport
Should you be travelling either by rail or bus please do not hesitate to let us know!
We are only 2 miles from the centre of Dalston village and the railway station; but it is a significant walk with luggage. We are happy to collect you from the DALSTON VILLAGE STATION with advance notification and subject to staff availability. If you are travelling to CARLISLE CITY STATION you will need to catch the connecting train to DALSTON VILLAGE STATION. Alternatively there are taxi's available at Carlisle station. If you are travelling by bus you can get to Bridge End opposite the pub and can either request collection from there or if you are travelling light you may choose to walk the distance which is one mile.
Eating Out - Dalston Village
- Blue Bell Inn Public House – Tel: 01228 712061
- Bridge End Inn Public House – Tel: 01228 710161
- Dalston Fryer - Tel: 01228 712862 Fish and Chip Shop
- Carrock Meats Butchers – Tel: 01228 712442 BBQ Provisions
- Co-operative food store – Tel: 01228 712714 Quick snack/meal options
- Country Kitchen Tea Room/Cafe (Centre of village) – Tel: 01228 711431 Breakfasts/Lunches/Teas
- Crumbs sandwich shop – Tel: 01228 711192 Sandwiches/salad boxes.
- Cranstons Food Hall at Orton Grange www.cranstons.net - Tel: 01228 710746
- Dobbies Garden Centre - www.dobbies.com – Tel: 01228 713520
- Orton Grange Farm Shop, Tea Room & Gift Shop -www.ortongrangecafeandgifts.co.uk / www.theloftbeautyroom.co.uk / www.carlisleswimschool.co.uk– Tel: 01228 711410
Many of the businesses sell a wide range of locally produced products.
- Suziebou gift shop - See facebook for info - Tel: 01228 711696 (Centre of village)
- Mystery Cycles Cycle Repair Shop – Tel: 07935 058 137 (Centre of village)
Medical / Emergency Provisions
- Dalston Medical Group - www.dalstonmedicalgroup.org.uk – Tel: 01228 710451 (Centre of village)
- Dalston Pharmacy/Post Office/Newsagents - Tel: 01228 712506 (Found past the church on lefthand side heading out of the village towards Carlisle)